The second most pet parents start imagining fleas & ticks, they rush out to the nearest pet shop or veterinarian looking for toxic pesticide chemicals to spray on or orally administer to their pets for protection.
But the question is – Are we actually protecting them?
In April of 2009, the United States’ Environmental Protection Agency issued an advisory about “spot-on” chemical pesticide products. These are products applied to the necks or backs of dogs and cats as flea and tick preventatives.
The advisory was issued due to a significant increase in reported adverse reactions — everything from mild skin irritation to seizures and death. In 2008, over 44,000 reactions presumed to be tied to spot-on products were reported by pet owners, veterinarians, and other animal caretakers.
Here are a few ideas, tips and some new products on the 2015 market that might help reduce the toxic load that our poor pets must endure:
LOCAL CONNECTIONS HALIFAX – ISSUE#13 Summer 2015